Few days ago, my professor told me to draw some CAD drawings of the Ansys model on which we are working. At first, I though to draw CAD drawing in Autocad from bottom up but then I thought there must be more easy and simple way to do so. So after some spending time on Google to search about my task, I was able to fulfil this task very easily with just some simple Steps.
If you have a Ansys or 3D model you can create 3D or 2D CAD drawings very easily. I have enlisted main steps as follows:
- One your Ansys model in Ansys APDL (Mechanical)
- Goto to File menu and click Export. Save the file on desired location. This file will be exported in *.IGES format. If it is not already just put .iges at the end of the file name. This will convert the file in its proper extension.
- Open AUTOCAD and a Blank Sheet. First of all import the exported iges file which we got in last step. Just write IGESIMPORT command and press enter, A import dialog box will come up. Select the iges file. If your file is bigger and takes more than 5sec, this process will be done in background and after the completion of task AUTOCAD will tell you that Import process has been done. Click on the Info box which will appear on the bottom right after the completion of import task. This will show up your imported CAD on AUTOCAD screen. If you still don’t see your model, Do the ZOOM EXTENDS and this will center your imported model.
- Now this is a 3D model in front of you. If you want to create 2D drawing of it from different views, just use the simple command of VIEWBASE and select model space or entire model and then enter the layout name on which you want to create 2d views. Place your front view and press enter, Then move your mouse on different sides to get 2D drawing from different views. Its that simple.
- After that you can also use EXPORTLAYOUT command to export these views in *.dwg format.